General Information for Tenants - Renting with First National Real Estate Copas Newnham Property Services

Real Estate Buyers Guide Before deciding to rent a property there are a few rules and regulations that you need to take into consideration.

A Residential Tenancy Agreement or 'lease' will be drawn up and is the legal contract that both you and your landlord must abide by. A lease should include information such as:


  • Location of the property
  • Total rent
  • Amount of the bond
  • Commencement and end date of your tenancy
  • The landlords' name

Lease/tenancy agreements differ between states, so please make sure you have the documentation from your appropriate state.

Never sign a blank form if you do not understand something.  Contact the correct establishments and ask for advice.

For more information about renting with First National Real Estate, simply contact our friendly Property Management team or visit the Residential Tenancy Authority RTA website on

Application for Tenancy
An application form must be completed when applying to rent a property. The Application Form must be accompanied by identification (drivers licence, a passport, an 18 plus card or a birth certificate accompanied by certified photo identity), proof of current address (Phone Bill, Electricity Account, Tenancy Agreement, Rates Notice) proof of residential history (Rent Reciepts, Tenant Ledger, Proof of Mortgage Payments. If this is a private rental, please provide a letter from your lessor stating your payments. If you have never rented, a letter from your parent/guardian stating you live at the property and any board/rent you may pay) and proof of income (pay slips, a letter of offer, Bank Statements or Centrelink notification)

Rental Payments
Unless other arrangements are made, rent under your Residential Tenancy Agreement will be payable in advance weekly, fortnightly or monthly. If at any time you are unable to make a rental payment or before the due date, please make immediate contact with your Property Manager. This will help to keep a good tenancy history - otherwise standard procedures are follwed leading to a Notice To Remedy Breach or a Notice to Leave.

Method of Payment
Payments are by Bank Deposit, Bank Cheque, Internet Bank Transfer or Centrepay. We do not accept Personal Cheques.
VERY IMPORTANT to use your unique reference number when making any rental payment or invoice payments to our account, otherwise proof of payment will be required.

Rental Bond
Your rental bond will be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority. The bond is held as security against any damage or undue wear and tear. The bond will be refunded promptly after you vacate, provided the property is left in as close as possible the same condition as when the Residential Tenancy Agreement commenced (allowing for fair wear and tear) and there are no other monies owing.

Periodic Inspections
During the course of your tenancy, the premises will be inspected periodically by Copas Newnham First National after 7 days notice has been given to you. This will generally take place three months after you move in and again six months later. Our office will contact you in advance to let you know what date the inspection will be happening.

Keys will be handed to you at the commencement of the tenancy and a photocopy of the keys will be signed by you to indicate acceptance. At the end of the tenancy all keys shown on the photocopy must be returned. Copas Newnham retains a duplicate key to all properties for emergency access. Provided identification is produced these keys can be borrowed during office hours but must be returned within twenty-four (24) hours. Should you require keys out of office hours a fee will be payable. It is therefore advisable that you make private arrangements regarding the location of a spare key, should you inadvertently lock yourself out. Locks may be changed, after first obtaining permission from Copas Newnham First National or the owner, on the strict understanding that you supply Copas Newnham First National with a spare set of keys. It is in your best interests to ensure that we have access to your property in case of emergency.

We strongly urge you to insure your personal possessions against any loss, damage or theft. The owner has no obligation to insure your personal belongings.

Water Usage for Tenants
You will be invoiced for water usage as per your lease documents. This invoice will be emailed or posted to you and you must pay by the due date.
 Do NOT pay water charges directly to the City Council.

Electricity, Gas and Telephone
It is each tenant’s responsibility to have the appropriate account placed in his or her names and then to arrange to have a meter reading, prior to vacating the premises. The following are contact number for these authorities.

Ergon Energy    131 515
Energex            131 161
AGL         1300 309 132
Telstra              132 200

We also offer a service through Direct Connect who can help you with these connections. Direct Connects form and contact inforamtion is included with the application documents or visit their website